Friday, April 1, 2011

Windowsill Garden

I have a special gift: I have the unique ability to kill any plant.  

House plants are my specialty.

I know plenty of cooks who delight in growing their own food. They know exactly what has been put into it, so they know that the food they are producing and eating is healthy and chemical free. They find joy in tending to their crops (large or small) and relish the opportunity to skip out to the garden to pick something fresh for dinner. Talk about locavores!

I've always envied people like that. 

Instead, I sign myself up for a local CSA and let the professionals handle the growing so that I can stick to the cooking.

While at Target the other day, I came across some tiny little pots for growing herbs, veggies, and flowers. Since they were only $1 each I thought, "Why not? If I kill them, I'm only out a buck each."

So I'm trying to turn over a new leaf (please pardon the horrible pun, I get those from my dad) and have begun a mini garden on my windowsill.

cilantro, basil, chives, and parsley

As you can see, there hasn't been any progress yet but I'm hoping the little guys grow up enough so I can cook with them. Otherwise it'll be a new personal plant-killing record: dead before even sprouting.

Wish me (and the plants) luck. We're going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails