Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Citrus-Cilantro Pesto

In case I have not already expressed this, I have the best job ever. Not only because I love what I do, but because I have an office full of people who love to eat and share recipes!

My boss recently gave me this recipe for citrus-cilantro pesto over pasta and vegetables and it is as delicious as it is quick and easy to make! I have absolutely no idea where this recipe came from, so I can't site any source....although I should find out because I bet whichever cookbook it came from is pretty fantastic.

My favorite thing about this recipe is that the sauce and veggies all come together in the time it takes your pasta to cook, so the whole thing is ready and on the table in under 15 minutes.
You will need:
1 lb pasta, like whole wheat spaghetti
2 small zucchini
1 bag of shredded carrots
2 seedless oranges
2 cups cilantro (leaves only!)
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pasta water from cooking your pasta
(I actually use about 1/4 cup because I like a thicker pesto, but you can do whatever you like)
salt and pepper to taste

To start, cook the pasta according to the package directions.

While your pasta is cooking, wash your zucchini and cut into lengthwise strips, as thin as you can get them and as long or short as you like. I like mine really thin and really long so they mimic the pasta.

when the pasta has just two minutes left to cook, toss in the zucchini and carrots. This will help to cook your veggies just enough so that they're not rock solid but not total mush, either.

Once your pasta is done, turn off the heat and remove 1/2 cup of water before straining the pasta and veggies. 

As your pasta is cooking, prep your pesto!

Cut the peels off of the two seedless oranges. Try not to lose too much of the orange flesh, just trim off the peel and the white pith. Cut them into quarters and place in your blender. Add the garlic, spices and salt, and the cilantro. Next add the pasta water and oil and blend until smooth. You'll see little flecks of green from the cilantro that just won't get any smaller or incorporate into the sauce like you want. This is totally normal. 

Return the cooked pasta and veggies to the hot pot. Pour the pesto over the pasta and veggies and mix to coat the pasta evenly.

I like to serve in white bowls, sprinkled with a little freshly ground black pepper and cilantro for garnish.

I have added pea pods, asparagus, and peppers to this and they're all wonderful. I hope you'll play with the recipe a bit and make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails