Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ch-ch-changes

I've been notably absent for months and I don't have an excuse or an apology. 

What I do have is life change.

A few months ago the boyfriend and I decided to go vegan and we've been having a blast navigating the new lifestyle. But let me start at the beginning...

A friend of mine from work, Betsy, came in one day and told me about this book she'd just finished reading. She said a friend of hers recommended it because it was funny, informational, and in your face. It wasn't a diet book exactly but Betsy said she'd been following the advice in the book and had already lost 6 poundsin only 5 days. 

Obviously, I was hooked...what woman doesn't want to lose those last five vanity pounds?

So she let me borrow the book, Skinny Bitch and I read the entire thing in one night. I knew this would be the kind of book I'd want to read over and over, so I went out and bought a copy for myself the same day....and also bought the companion book, Skiny Bastard, for the boyfriend.

Amazingly, the boyfriend read it and decided to take the plunge and go vegan with me - with almost no arm twisting! You'll remember from past blogs that the boyfriend is, rather was, a serious carnivore. He was a self-described connoisseur of the chicken wing and I don't know if he had ever even heard the word seitan (pronounced SAY-tahn). 

At this point we're several months into the lifestyle and I've been having a ton of fun learning a totally new way to cook - free of any animal-derived products.

The next several blogs are likleygoing to be more about the journey of "going vegan" than actually cooking or giving you recipes, so please bear with me. 

Even though vegetarian and vegan eating are pretty common, there are still a lot of myths and questions that non-veggies get all the time and I'd like to spend some time giving you some information about it all - so that you can make a decision for yourself about what you choose to put in your body.

And do yourself a favor - go out and buy a copy of Skinny Bitch or Skinny Bastard. You'll be glad you did and I guarantee that after reading it you will want to buy a copy for everyone you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails