Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Adventures in Cooking (a.k.a Team Dinner #1)

Oh, how I love long weekends! Last night, day three of our Columbus Day Holiday Weekend, the boyfriend and I made dinner together. This was a first for us.

The day before, we had picked up a couple of spaghetti squash at a local farm and were both itching to use them. Truth be told, the original offer was for the boy to cook me dinner but it became apparent pretty early on that this was going to be a team effort.

My boyfriend is a guy. He's in the Army, he plays rugby, he builds things out of wood. He is wonderful and has many fantastic qualities that would make you go "aw" if I told you but not one of those strengths is cooking. In truth, food is generally not his strong suit.

He will probably kill me when he reads this but he has what my mother calls a "young pallet." Before I came along, he was content to eat guy food: pizza, wings, pasta, Taco Bell, Chinese take out, any take out, really. I think he probably would have been happy with guy food forever had I not yelled, "I need a vegetable!" on about our third date.

So, while his offer to cook me dinner did make my heart melt, the reality is that this was very much a joint venture.

I mentioned earlier that we had picked up a couple of spaghetti squash at a local farm. In addition to the squash, the boyfriend also picked up a great cookbook for beginners called The Healthy College Cookbook. It's all about how to set up your first kitchen, how to stock your pantry, and what tools are essential. Between the cookbook and the squash we had our inspiration.

The menu for Team Dinner #1 was:
Spaghetti Squash
Quick and Easy Marinara
Turkey Meatballs

The boyfriend is doing a paleolithic diet at the moment - you eat only fruit, vegetables, meat, fish and poultry - so we skipped the cheese that I would normally add to a meal like this. Truth be told, it was so flavorful that I didn't even miss the cheese.

The recipes will follow over the next couple of days, so check back until Friday to get them all.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails