Friday, February 26, 2010

Holi

With more snow, wind, and rain hitting the Northeast, it's difficult to feel like spring is just around the corner.  This weekend, though, marks the Hindu festival called Holi or the Festival of Colors.

Thousands of Indians will gather - at home and abroad - to celebrate the coming of spring.  Revelers will gather and celebrate by throwing paint and colored water at each other. This festival officially ushers in spring - the season of love.

The origin of the celebration is unclear to me but you can find at least two possible explanations here.

In keeping with the fun of this spring festival, below you will find one of my favorite recipes for Chicken Curry - in a crock pot, no less.  You will note two versions of this recipe: the first is made exactly as written; the second includes my modifications.

Coconut Chicken Curry
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 small onion, chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
1 cup light coconut milk
4 tsp. curry powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups hot cooked rice
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
Raisins, flaked coconut, and chopped unsalted peanuts optional

Place potatoes and onion in a 3- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker.

In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, curry, garlic, bouillon, salt, and pepper; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until chicken is tender.

Serve chicken and sauce with rice; sprinkle with green onions. Garnish with raisins, coconut, and peanuts if desired.

My own modifications:
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2-3 cups cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1 small onion, chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each) cut into bite sized cubes
2 cups light coconut milk
8 tsp. curry powder
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
Raisins or currants and flaked coconut

You'll notice above that I doubled all of the spices but the salt. I think the bouillon adds enough sodium without including any more.

I prepare the dish as directed but I double the sauce, as adding the cauliflower can make this kind of dry and I like a lot of sauce. I also use a non-stick pan and just the tiniest dab of vegetable oil to cook the chicken.

I like to mix the coconut (unsweetened and not toasted) and the currants in with my basmati rice after it is cooked because I think this allows it to combine more evenly. Also, I don't measure the currants or the coconut, so this is definitely a how much you like it scenario. The same goes for the cauliflower.

If you're a vegetarian (or if you're cooking for one) I suggest just leaving out the chicken altogether but definitely add the cauliflower. I'd still double the sauce, though.

I'd love to know what you think. If you make this, let me know how you've modified it to your own taste. E-mail me at rn6productions@gmail.com

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails